Sunday, March 28, 2010

Month one...done!!!

It still blows my mind that I'm really here. Never in my life do I remember being surrounded by this many asian people. I know it sounds weird, but it's true. Back home I have like one Asian friend, who is brand new, and that's it. Here I'm surrounded by them and on the look out for caucasian people. Except for the fact that I can't speak or understand Korean, I feel like I still stand out among the crowd. Not necessarily in a bad way, just a weird way. I see the looks on people's faces when I don't speak to them when they ask me a question or when I'm on the phone speaking English. That always gets people staring. I thought I was prepared to deal with it, but apparently you can't really.


I have a couple more observations. The older population like their hiking. On Saturday and Sunday mornings you will see them congregate together on the subway in their matching outfits: hiking pants, The Red Face jackets, backpacks, hiking poles, hiking boots, and hats. For those of you who have seen "The Sandlot," when I refer to the ladies hats think "Smalls'" hat at the beginning of the movie with that visor times 5. Hahaha They are so cute! lol


There are couples EVERYWHERE!!! And you see them more so here than you do in the States. Which I find very weird. Maybe it's because there are so many more people here. But, I've been watching them and thinking silently to myself...I wish I had someone. But, that is beside the point. Guys here seem to be way more affectionate and loving to their significant other. They're always holding hands, always shopping together, and the guy for the most part are carrying the girls' purchases as well as even sometimes her purse. Now, that my friends is a man who is comfortable with his sexuality. However, most guys here carry bags anyways. And most of them do look like women's bags. But, hey...it's what they do.


This has been a much more difficult experience for me than England was. But, I'm coping and am enjoying myself for the most part. It's hard for me to make friends when I'm not surrounded by people who speak the same language. But, I'm trying to learn some Korean. I've bought a book called "Korean made easy for beginners" and it came with a CD and phrase book. So far I know the words for tree and meat in korean and can read them. haha Being able to read Korean I think will be helpful no matter what. Except for the part of not knowing what it is that I'm reading. haha But, I'm working on it!


Alright...that's all from me for the week. I've bought one movie, a CD, and rented a movie from iTunes thanks to all the iTunes gift cards I got from people before I left!!! Definitely one of the most amazing gifts ever!!!! Gives me something to do since I do not have cable!!!


Annyong!


P.S. Sanctuary Choir members!!! Thanks so much for the card!!!! I love it and it's sitting on top of my bookshelf for people to see if they ever come over. haha

3 comments:

  1. What about "In-Flight Korean?" That didn't make you fluent on the way over? :) Hang in there. It sounds like you're doing fine. And BTW, Although I think I'm very comfortable with my sexuality, you'll never catch me carrying Tammy's purse or having one of my own. That's just how I roll! Have you planned a visit to the Korean Folk Village near Suwon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha No...it was a bit too fast. Apparently I need something slow and broken down into syllables. haha I haven't planned to visit that, but I am going to Suwon on Sunday to an English speaking church. So who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's some info:
    http://www.koreanfolk.co.kr/folk/english/index.htm

    ReplyDelete