Friday, March 12, 2010

Week 1 at School

Ok, so here's my tentative plan now that school has started. I take my Austria journal with me everywhere. It's my amazing moleskin that is orange! Anyways, since I have quite a bit of free time at school I tend to write quite a bit in it. But I write so much and it would take me forever to rewrite it all, so you'll just be getting the highlights. Probably just in bullet points because it's easier and a lot less time consuming. If I have a story, those will not be in bullet points. Alright? Alright!


3/8/10: First Day of School


- If you've been to London or Spain or Italy you may have experienced being packed into the subway car like 'sardines.' Well, I have experienced all three and let me tell you...this my friends is MUCH worse!


- Because it was so packed...I missed my stop to get to school. I wasn't able to push myself to the door fast enough before it closed. And no, they do not try to move for you. They just stand there looking at you like you're an idiot because you didn't move in enough time before your stop came.


- I then found out if I miss my stop I can ride to the next stop and try to stay on that car or get off and get back on if I get pushed out because it goes right back.


- Once I got to school I met my Principal. She seems like a pretty nice lady. We really didn't have much to say to each other. She just asked me if I was still jet lagged. To which I replied with yes.


- After I got there I was told I would be introduced to the school and would be filmed and then broadcasted through the whole entire school. That was totally awkward. haha


- I got like 5 towels from Wendy and some dish soap. And let me tell you towels here aren't like towels in the states. They are hand towels. It's awkward too. haha


- My first day we only had two classes 6th grade classes.


- Jamie and left school early to go to the bank which took us about an hour and 15 min. I was then supposed to go to a mandatory mentor meeting according to my vice principal. haha Turns out it was only for mentor's not mentees.


- Jamie then went with me to the grocery store to help me get stuff and then took me to dinner at a noodle place! It was really good!!!


- She then came back to my apartment and told me how to use the rice cooker, which I have used twice, and then reminded me how to use the washing machine.


3/9/10: Second Day of School

- Got on the subway in the correct place this time in order to get off at my stop. WHOO!!!!


-BORED OUT OF MY MIND ALL DAY LONG! All of our classes were cancelled due to testing.


- Korean teacher man who doesn't speak English other than the word...desk...took me on a little adventure from the teacher's lounge back to my classroom for some odd reason. haha I tried to tell him I needed to stay where I was, but he didn't know. haha It was quite entertaining.


- After school Jamie took me to get a cell phone. We went to Technomart and went to a couple whose children go to our school. They were so nice and totally hooked me up!!! So I now have a phone and can get a hold of people!! It's great!! I can also watch TV on it...it's FREE!!!


- I love my co-teacher, Jamie. She's like my foreign mother. lol We were at the subway station and was totally worried I couldn't get back home. Granted I had taken the subway about 5 or 6 times from that very station back home. lol She's so sweet.


3/10/10: Mentor Program Starts

- I met Ursula and Annie at Sindorim Station and we were going to Ursula's school. Basically it's a district wide thing and I think it's a great idea. New teachers are paired up with teachers who have been here for at least 3 years. We get to watch them teach, they give us their ppt presentations and ideas. They also help us with things. It's been great being able to go have someone who's been here for a while to kinda tell you what to expect.


-Annie and I left at 2:00 P.M. and went to Times Square which is a shopping mall. Mostly pricey things, but it was pretty cool. She helped me get a T-Money card to use for the subway, busses, and some taxis. Annie is my LIFE SAVER!!! Korean is her 2nd language. So she's been a HUGE help!


3/11/10

- At Ursula's school again and I got to teach one of her 6th grade classes, "Where are you from?" It went pretty well. The kids are so adorable. I can't wait to meet the rest of mine!


- After school Annie and I went to the bank so I could get some cash and use my bank book at the ATM machine.


- We then went to her apartment and she is selling me her extra transformer so I can use my straightner, blowdryer, and camera chargers!!!! YAY!!!! My hair has been suffering tremendously!!!


3/12/10

- FRIDAY!!!!!!


- I taught 2 5th grade classes, "How are you?" They went pretty well. We played the tornado game with them that they love!


- Annie and I left school early so she could go to the U.S. Embassy and I could go to the Immigration Office in order to get my Alien Registration Card. I was told if I didn't make an appointment it could take 5-6 hours. I was only there for about 2 1/2 hours. So, not too bad.


-Came home and as I was about to go to the store my phone rang and it was Yoo Yoon. For those of you who don't know, Yoo Yoon works for CBF and I had been in contact with him after I applied for this job. Well, he e-mailed me yesterday telling me he would be here until March 16, so him and Reverend Park, maybe, are coming over here to meet me. Gave me like enough time to run to the store and hurry and tidy things up. haha


-Yoo Yoon is a very nice man. He's taking me to church Sunday morning.


-Dinner tonight....drumroll please...Kraft Mac and Cheese!!! My roommate at orientation Ashlie brought a lot of boxes and Mac and Cheese for her Korean co-workers from last year and she gave Ronell and I a box. haha So, I bought some butter tonight so I could make it!! It's like HEAVEN in my mouth!!! hahaa *hint, hint* Good care package thing!!! haha

(side note: the coke I'm drinking tastes weird...should I keep drinking it? I think so...cost me a fortune!!! hahaha)


My weekend will consist of sleeping, exploring my surrounds, talking to friends back home, and TESOL. I need to get at least 2 units done before my tutor leave for holiday in a little over a week.

2 comments:

  1. Caroline!!! Oh my gosh I love reading about your adventures!! I'm so glad you like the people there and are enjoying the teaching part, too!!! I miss you! I'm in OKC for Spring Break and am going to the Art Museum later and it made me think of you! Miss you! Take Care!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CLAUDIA!!!!! Oh this is fun to read. I liked the part about being broadcasted all over the school--what an introduction! And the part about the crowded subways...mm. I can imagine. :) Thanks for keeping us all updated!!

    ReplyDelete