Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I'm in accent heaven!! There are people from 8 different countries. Australia, New Zealand, U.S., Canada, Ireland, Scotland, England, and South Africa. I'm rooming with two people. Ronell is from South Africa and Ashlie is from St. Louis. They are both great girls! Ashlie and I have been suffering through the heat due to the fact that Ronell gets cold extremely easily. We go back and forth opening and closing windows. Our rooms are extremely hot, so the past couple nights I've woken up sweating. But, apparently they have turned down the heat just a bit. So it's not as hot. I apologize that this post isn't as witty as the last. It's 10:25 P.M. and I'm exhausted.



Sunday Recap:

We had an SMOE Q&A. Found out a lot of basic info. It was pretty helpful. Found out we will be finding out our schools and housing on Saturday. Then there was a trip to (getting the brochure out of my bag), Nam June Paik Art Center. You should totally look up some of his stuff....EXTREMELY WEIRD!! I have a couple pictures, but some of the things weren't suited for certain people's eyes...*cough* dad *cough* So, I just took a couple of pics of the "dad friendly" things. We then went to the Hwaseong Fortress. It's like a MINI MINI MINI MINI version of the Great Wall of China. It was pretty cool. Apparently it takes about 6 hours to walk it. But, we only had about an hour. They also had archery in which one could participate if you wanted to pay 2,000 Won. The evening was spent trying to work on my TESOL certification, but that was a bust. It was way toooooooo loud! We apparently live on the party floor right next to the lounge. But, I'm glad I've been able to sleep through most of it.



Monday Recap:

Orientation started Monday. The morning consisted of a medical check-up. Height and weight, eye check, blood pressure, blood drawn, urine test, and chest x-ray. How are you supposed to give anything to a urine test if you can't drink anything 8 hours before? Luckily...it was enough. haha Anyways, after lunch we all found out what level we are teaching. I got ELEMENTARY! Then we had Opening Ceremony for 3 hours. The evening again consisted of trying to work on my TESOL, which worked for a while until I was way too tired and decided to see what was on TV. Crazy Korean stuff I couldn't understand and Braveheart which we opted to watch.


Tuesday Recap:

We started our classes today. The elementary teachers went to the supplementing textbook class. It was interesting learning some of the activities we can do with our students. Then we had an Intro to Micro-teaching class. This was just basically info about when we have to micro-teach. It's just co-teaching for 10-15 min. on a certain topic. My partner is Brian and we are doing "What did you do yesterday?" past tense. So, it should be pretty easy. After class we had a break for lunch and had the opportunity to open a bank account. I did that and skipped lunch. Wasn't in the mood for rice and chicken...again. The food here apparently isn't all that great. People are saying that this food is nothing like what we'll really get to eat. After lunch had an hour to call the parents and then it was off to Classroom Management. The two lecturers were pretty good. Learned a bit of korean from one. They both were pretty funny and entertaining. After dinner the roommates and I went to go see a movie about this autistic man who ends up running a marathon in under 3 min. True story. The movie was amazing! I'm not sure what it was called, but it was really good!


Ok, that is all I have the energy for. I'm going on one more search for my partner and then off to pass out!!



No comments:

Post a Comment