Thursday, March 18, 2010

Week three

Well...it's almost the end of week three. Let me just say that I've had a very emotional last couple days. Not with homesickness, but with things like being uncomfortable in my surrounds and dealing with the bluntness/rudness of a couple of my co-workers. I visited Yonsei Central Baptist Church with Yoo Yoon Sunday. They had an interpreter for English speakers that you listened to through a headset. So, that was good. The people I met were really nice. The church was HUGE! But, I think I will be visiting other churches. I was at that church from 10:45 A.M.-5:00 P.M. And yes, if it had been FBC, OKC I would have been fine, but this was just way too much of this place. They did have the a famous violinist Park, Ji Hae. She was really good.


This week has been full of ups and downs. Mostly ups after Tuesday. But, here are a few things I have noticed in the three weeks I have been here.


- There are those Koreans who think that if you aren't "Korean" you mean nothing.

- They smack their food and slurp their soup.

- They run a lot. Mostly to catch the subway. But, I've realized that's probably why a lot of them are so skinny. (Note to self: run more, it's what "true" Koreans do)

- 'Are you married?' and 'Do you have a boyfriend?' are the most common questions I get from the kids and adults.

- Wednesday is good lunch day at school!

- They wear different shoes while at school.

- You get at least a 5 min. warning on things that are happening.

- Korean's love to stare. Especially when they hear me speaking English.


In case you were wondering about what my classes are like I will give you a run down. I have 22 classes all together. 4th-6th and one after school class, which is like an English Club. Each grade has 7 classes.


That's all for now. Sorry not much detail, but I didn't really feel like going into detail about this week. It was kind of a rough one


Take care!

1 comment:

  1. You're funny Claudia. I read through some of these and just find myself smiling. :) ...Eespecially the part about everyone staring at you and the need to run to places to become a "true" Korean. Miss ya friend, but know I think of you often!

    ReplyDelete