Sunday, January 23, 2011

Winding down year one...

Year one in Korea is coming to a close. As of Jan. 26 I will have been here in Korea for 11 months. I can honestly say this has been the CRAZIEST year of my life. Lots of ups and downs. Lots of tears and laughter. Lots of fear and calmness. And the closer I am in finding myself. It's hard to believe that just a year ago I was in Oklahoma, living at home, with a part-time job, and trying to figure out what the heck I was going to do with my life. Although, I'm still trying to figure out what the heck to do with my life I've spent the last year living in a foreign (mother-land) country, living on my own, being an independent woman for the first time in my life. As much as it terrified me to come over here knowing no one, not knowing the language, and not really knowing much about my new job or my living situation, I wouldn't trade this experience for anything.

The biggest, scariest thing that has happened to me within the last year was meeting my birth mother. It's still really hard to explain everything I'm feeling about the meeting, but it's been something I've been looking forward to since I was a kid. And then to finally meet her was such an incredible thing. I found out the other day that she does want to be updated on how I am doing via Ms. Oh. So if I have any new news I'm to tell Ms. Oh so she can pass on the info to my birth mother. I'd say that's a step in the right direction. As far as her really being a part of my life, I don't really see that happening. And I honestly don't know if I would want that. But, if that ever comes up, it will be MUCH later down the road.

Now on to the fun stuff. Since being in Korea I've come to realize that when I go back to the states for good that there will be LOTS of things I will miss. Things that I have a weakness for thanks to this incredible country. So, I thought I would share some of these things with you. Several of these things I'm able to find in the states, well actually all of them I'm able to but finding them in Korea is just so much more...satisfying. haha Anyways...here goes!! Warning...LOTS of pictures!!!

Seoul Metro: The subway system is FANTASTIC!!! I haven't driven in a year and it's been the most amazing feeling ever! haaha The subway is clean and extremely easy to use. I have been on quite a few subway systems around the world and the one here in Seoul is by far the BEST one.


Forever 21: Being on the bigger side of Korean women this store has provided me with countless outfits and at an affordable price!!


Staedtler Triplus Fineliner Pens: I actually got my first set of these in the states, but let me let you in on a little secret. My obsession with pens, markers, pencils, it's a Korean thing. I LOVE these pens for doodling and writing in my calendar. I will never use anything else.


만두: Mandu (Dumplings): These little pieces of heaven are my absolute favorite!! haha


김치: Kimchi: Korea's Dish. It's definitely an acquired taste, but in the words of many Koreans, "It's good for health".


Now the best part!!!! I've noticed since being here that Korean men KNOW how to dress. And no matter what they wear...they wear it extremely well. So, here are a couple of my favorites on Korean men.
The Cardigan: First on John Cho, Korean American actor. Second, on Gong Yoo, Korean actor.



Glasses: Glasses seem to be the must have accessory here. There are glasses shops everywhere and it seems like all my students wear them even if they don't need them. First on Ji Jin Hee, Korean actor. Second on Daniel Henney, Korean American actor.



Last but now least...my ALL TIME FAVORITE!!!!!
The Suit and Suit Vest: First on Taecyeon, singer in the group 2PM and actor. Second, Dennis Oh, Korean American model and actor. Third, John Cho, Korean American actor. Fourth, Gong Yoo, Korean actor. Fifth, Dennis Oh. Last, Daniel Henney.







18 days until I'm stateside and it couldn't come soon enough!!! I need a vacation from Korea. I'm looking forward to my already busy schedule coming home. My first week is already entirely booked with my 2nd week not as busy. So, if you would like a visit....let me know and I'll see what I can do!! haha Until then...Peace out!!

3 comments:

  1. We have just discovered your lovely words on our STAEDTLER triplus fineliners - we'd love to meet you on our facebook fanpage http://www.facebook.com/STAEDTLER.headquarters !
    It would be great if you became a fan, too, and shared your opinion and experiencewith all other fans on our page.

    Hope to meet you soon and best regards from STAEDTLER headquarters in Germany, Yvonne

    BTW: We have some really cool STAEDTLER triplus fineliner promotions running for 2011, just click our photo album and then New products for 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CLAUDIA!!

    Just thinking about you and hoping this finds you well!

    How long will you be back in the states??

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me smile so much. Korea really is a great place; I miss it a lot.
    I know you'll be super swamped, but if you want to grab a coffee while you're in town, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete